History

Marist-Sion College, Warragul, is a Catholic co-educational secondary school which is inspired by the traditions of the Marist Brothers and the Sisters of Our Lady of Sion.

 

Marist-Sion College has its origins in two Colleges: St Joseph’s College (for boys) founded in 1951 and Our Lady of Sion College (for girls) founded in 1905, each of which was established for the girls and boys of the Warragul area.

history
Sion Sisters, 1918
history
St Jospeh's College (for boys), Grade 5, 1958

The College originally operated across two campuses, those of the founding schools, but when the Witton St Campus, formerly Our Lady of Sion College, was redeployed by the Diocese in 1981 as the Catholic Education Office, the College consolidated onto its current 46 acre site at 165 Burke St, where our students enjoy beautiful views of Mount Baw Baw and the Strzelecki Ranges. Since the amalgamation of the two Colleges in 1975, Marist-Sion has been committed to the ideals of the two founding religious orders; the pursuit of justice, peace and love in the world and the nurturing of a family spirit which is evident in our openness to others, our warmth and friendliness. The College serves four local parishes: Warragul, Drouin, Trafalgar and Iona/Maryknoll.

In recent times, the College has provided new state-of-the-art facilities across the campus and ensured that our technology infrastructure operates at a very high level. In 2011, we commenced rollout of laptop computers for all students, which extended across all levels within two years.